Friday, November 6, 2015

support and awareness

One of the things I have never been good at is asking for help. My independence has always been both a strength and a weakness. So the idea of fundraising for anything is not fun for me. I know that everyone has certain things that they feel led to give to, and I think it can be easy to feel guilty for not giving to a friend or family member when they ask. And thats something I always want to stay away from. Raising money for the Walk N Roll has felt a bit uncomfortable to me because of that very reason. For Jeremy and I, money is our least motivating factor as we attempt to raise support and awareness for spina bifida. I know it's important. We need more resources in this community. We need more funds for research. I want to raise alot of money for that reason. I hate asking for it, but I want it. I want more done for those who live with spina bifida. More resources, more help, more possibilities. It has come a long way in the last couple of decades, but there is so much further to go. Money is essential for progress. And it is so needed in our spina bifida community. But, really, when I think of raising awareness for spina bifida, the thing that drives me more than anything right now, is raising awareness of the fact that a disability does not define a person. Carsyn isn't defined by her legs any more than you are defined by the shoes you wear. Looks can be so deceiving because the worlds perception of beauty can be so skewed. I want you to be aware of who Carsyn is, and not just what she looks like. I want you to know her. I want you to know that she is just like any other 5 year old. And I want my generation to raise a generation of kids who know that a friend doesn't have to look like you do in order to be a friend. That a disability is not who a person is, it doesn't define anyone. I'm imagining a world where a kid in a wheelchair is included just the same as a kid walking on their own 2 feet. I'm imagining it, I'm believing it, I'm teaching it to my own kids, and I'm wanting to make people aware of all of this. A persons heart always trumps a persons physical body. A persons heart, a persons spirit ... thats the stuff. Thats what matters. The other aspect of this that is so important for us, is that we want to encourage people to support special needs kids in general. An encouraging word breathes oxygen to the soul for anyone. For a kid with special needs (also for a parent of a kid with special needs), encouragement is so critical. Especially when they are going through difficult patches. What a difference it makes for a kid that has encouragement and support from people both inside and outside of their home. I am telling you, I have witnessed it first hand this past year with all that Carsyn has been through. The support and love Carsyn and our family have received has literally changed us. Its made us more aware of the need around us. Its made us understand a little more what love looks like. Family, friends, strangers even, have just been so very good to us. I understand now more than ever how crucial this aspect of life is. Supporting someone with an encouraging word is the easiest thing in the world you can to give. With social media, you can encourage someone with 10 seconds of your time. It just requires love and intentionality. We all have that, and we can certainly all give that away. So, as we post about fundraising for the Walk N Roll this weekend, I just want you to know that the main thing we want to do is encourage awareness and support for kids like Carsyn all over everywhere. Be aware of the beauty in all people, and be intentional about seeking it out. Talk to your kids about being friends with someone who is 'different' than they are. Teach them to choose friends based on what their hearts look like and not their bodies. If you know someone in the special needs community, be intentional about supporting and encouraging them. Its life changing. All of it matters. No kind word or act is ever wasted. It is so worth it. Thanks for donating if you can, and thank you for helping us spread awareness and support for Carsyn and other some incredible kids and parents we know ... it honestly means so very much. The world is changed by love. Give it away. Team Strong

No comments:

Post a Comment