Monday, October 14, 2013

the joy of celebration

One of the things that Spina Bifida has taught us, is that life is meant to be celebrated. It is so easy to get so caught up in the busyness of life that you forget to celebrate the little things. I believe God wants us to live a lifestyle of joy and celebration. I think busyness, and the whole glorification of busy thing, has created a generation of people that have forgotten the beauty of simplicity and the joy of celebration. This is a gift Spina Bifida has given us ... the gift of slowing down and recognizing the gift to be had in the simplest things ... the joy that is ours in the seemingly insignificant, if only we have eyes to see.

Riley started walking when she was 9 months ... I remember that. But I don't remember the first time she sat up, or lifted her head up on her own, or the first time she pulled up on her knees. I don't remember the first time Riley put her weight on her legs or the first time she asked to sit on the potty. I remember the day she started walking, the big milestone, and after that, everything is a blur.

With Carsyn, I remember every victory along the way. I have noticed her every first time. And not just noticed it, but celebrated it. I cried the first time I walked in her room and she was on her knees in her crib. I remember the exact spot I was sitting when she pulled herself up on her knees on a pink stool in our living room. I remember the first time she put her weight on her legs. These memories are etched in my mind for the rest of my life.

We miss so many moments because we take them for granted or are too busy to stop and let them penetrate our heart. We miss so many memories because we are too busy to slow down and see them for what they are. Life is full of opportunities to celebrate. There are so many moments of joy to be had. And one thing we have learned over the past 3 yrs is that sometimes the seemingly simplest things can produce the greatest joy. And when we lose the awareness of life's simplest victories, we can lose the joy of celebration. When we save up our celebrations for the 'big' stuff, we can miss so much of this beautiful life that God has blessed us with ... our awareness of the littlest things, increases our joy in all things.

While its not always easy, we are learning to reset priorities and slow down. To take in the moments and celebrate even the smallest victories. We are learning what a lifestyle of celebration, of joy, of thankfulness looks like ... we are starting to see more clearly.

I don't remember the joy in Rileys eyes the first time she used the bathroom like a 'big girl', but you can bet I will never forget the joy in Carsyns.


No comments:

Post a Comment